Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My Recycled Yarn

The adventure continues with Recycling Yarn. I ripped out a blanket made for my nephew that I never finished and reclaimed some camouflage yarn. I then used my niddy noddy (see earlier posts) to skein it out. I washed the yarn in lukewarm water and hung to dry using a hanger and a clothes line with a can of soup as a weight.

The first skein was hung after squeezing the water out by hand... It dripped for 2 days. The remaining skeins were placed in a spin cycle on my washer.

Here are my results! 2 lovely skeins of camouflage. Sure, it's acrylic cheapo yarn. Did you think my first attempt would be with good stuff? (See the cool wrapper on the yarn? Personalized. Yeah... I like that.)


Look at the colors! Now, if I could only figure out what to make with it.....


A trip to the thrift store brought me a very ugly redish pinkish sweater. The colors were so pretty I could see myself using them for something for my lovely little daughters. I ripped the sweater apart, washed and WOW! The water turned BLACK. The yarn turned out beautifully. I found that using the drier spin cycle cuts the dripping out and reduced dry time to about 24 hours. I got 6 skeins of the red/pink cotton.

Look at it up close... LOOK... LOOK!!! Pretty.... I enjoy petting this one.









3 comments:

  1. Wowsers, that pink is gorgeous! I need to start hitting the thrift stores!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would enjoy seeing pictures of the sweaters BEFORE you disassemble them...

    ReplyDelete