Thursday, July 22, 2010

Recycling Yarn

On one of my many random visits to Etsy.com, I stumbled upon a vendor selling "recycled yarn". The prices seemed incredibly low, so curiosity took over and I began a Google journey.

What is it? Basically, you take an old outdated knitted/crocheted item and break it back down into yarn. There's much more to it than this, but that's the basic idea.

After spending quite a bit of time reading up on the idea and suggestions, I decided to give it a go. I stopped at the local thrift store on my way home from work and searched through the sweater section -- not an easy feat in the middle of the summer, but there were no crowds in that area, which was good. Onlookers must have thought I was insane. I first looked for colors and textures that I liked, then I examined the seams inside the sweaters. Some sweaters that are commercially made have cut and surged edges and will not work for recycling. A lot of them, though, were fine! I selected a red and pink mixed cotton sweater and a very large pink plus sized cardigan (bigger sweater = more yarn). Total cost: $8.98

When I got home, I tended to the children and settled in with the red sweater. I ripped seams and tore out both sleeves. When I got to the front of the sweater, there were pockets to contend with. Here I had my first gross out moment. Pocket dirt. Not lint, DIRT. It was sick. It looked like a mass of thick white cobwebs and actual literal dirt. I brushed it off in the garbage and reminded myself that I will be washing this yarn and continued to rip.

I now have four small balls of yarn and the back of the sweater yet to rip out. Then I need to hank it, wash it, and move on to the pink sweater.

Warnings: I felt disgusting when I was done ripping for the evening. My hands felt grimy. You have no idea what thrift store finds have been laundered in, if anything at all. If you try this technique for reclaiming fibers at a low price, remember to launder them. EEEEWWWWW! Next time, I might even wash the sweater prior to ripping!

So... enough yarn to knit a sweater for about $4.50 each? Is it worth it? YES! There was a lot of yarn there. I haven't yet measured, so stay tuned, but it was a lot. If you have more time than I did, you can seek out more luxurious yarn blends. Look for cashmere or another fun blend. The sky is the limit and your pocketbook isn't busted!

I think I have a new hobby.... :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment